08 October 2012

St Clement 13 - Frustration!

There is an Iconographer's Prayer that goes, in part:

"Teach me to profit from my past mistakes
without falling into a gnawing doubt.
Teach me to anticipate the project without worry,
to imagine the work without despair
if it should turn out differently."

That was meant for today.

As I applied the next layers of paints, everything seemed to go 'other than according to plan."  Pigment colors were not as I expected when they dried.  Careless moves meant I dropped some flecks of pigments in places where I had not intended them.  Clement's pallium is not as brilliant as I had wanted it, the ocean is a lighter blue color than I wanted, and I haven't found the right combination of colors for this robe yet.

I even picked up the glass of water, in which I wash off my brushes, and took a sip when I had meant to reach for my coffee.

And yet, I think the transformation today has been positive overall....I include two picture to show the beginning and the end of this morning's session.

Much work ahead.

The Start and End of the Session:




1 comment:

  1. You are the medium as well as the material you are using. When you get in the zone, with the correct intention, everything will flow perfectly. If you are frustrated, you are trying to impose your will on the creative force. Let your will go. Works in life as well as art.

    ReplyDelete