13 October 2012

St. Clement - Post 15 - Highlights

 OK, a Big Kiss to Beverly Phelps (she knows who she is!)   We spent some Facebook time back and forth the last few days about the creative process, and my frustration with my progress.  And somehow, after our conversation, I just felt that everything was OK.  We lit the incense, mixed the egg tempera, and set out to see how St. Clement and the creative energies and I could work today.

Today's task was the hardest, and what I find the most difficult, and where I feel the most incompetent: Highlighting the near-complete Icon with 'light.' I had been fighting it, in part due to my own inability to 'get it right.'  In addition to Bev's reminders about creative work, I took comfort in these words, direct from Betsy Porter, an Iconographer I greatly admire, who trained at the Prosopon School of Iconography, a school I highly respect:

"When completed, the first highlight may look awkward and crude! Don't be discouraged; you're just roughing out the shape of the figure."

And with ego out of the way, and permission to do something awkward and crude, I began.

And with ego out of the way, I actually like how this is beginning to come together.

Many steps ahead...many floats and highlights to go.  But taking my time, and approaching this in the right spirit, we are progressing...

.

No comments:

Post a Comment